Throwback: 14 Years Together - The Beginning of the End


Written March 15, 2010

Apocalyptic title, you think? Well, think again. In less than 20 days, I say goodbye to what has defined my life for so long: School Life. Yes, indeed, it is the end. And as pictures of farewell ceremonies and farewell notes throng Facebook profiles... I find myself assailed by a curious kind of wistfulness.
Now you'll think, "Oh man, there she goes again, emo talk and senti crap. When the HELL does she NOT feel wistful?"
I'm not gonna blame you, but I do like to think that this time I have ample reason for complaint. 'Cause going through all the pictures and shit (and I am not gonna bore you with how I was not reduced to tears by them), one line that kept recurring was: 14 wonderful years with you people, thank you so much.
Our own farewell was no exception. The same old Ramayana, minus the Facebooking. 14 years together, yada yada, and I think, "Where the hell are MY 14 years together?"

Shifting schools hasn't hurt me much (yes, I'm talking from my newly acquired 'Mature Perspective'). But it has left me with a vague feeling of rootlessness. It has increased my range of experiences and the number and variety of people I've met. Different worlds, so to speak.
But lasting friendships? Ties that bind? Loyalty and all that crap?

I give my best everywhere, and thankfully, I've stopped expecting anything back. But I notice that I'm the one who doesn't have pictures of myself with my arms draped over my friends' shoulders, with MY SCHOOL in the background. For starters, I'd have to figure out which one 'MY SCHOOL' is. And by rights I should be having three times more pictures of 'MY SCHOOL' than anyone else.

So that's my pathetic school-dentity crisis. On happier and funnier notes, me and the ex sat next to each other for three board exams, and re-friended over autograph books and the Oscars. Aaand I'm finally off to Somewhere Else (Delhi, to be precise), to be reborn in my new Phoenix Avatar.

Hats off to Katherine Bigelow, Sonia Gandhi and the Oscar photographer who made my day with a picture of Bigelow and Cameron right after the Oscar for Best Director was announced! That's all for the traditional toast. Cheerio!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite