Reveries IV


Soon this will feel like a distant dream. Until then, may you rest in a deep and dreamless slumber. - Elise, Westworld

I was introduced to Massari in high school - probably tenth grade, probably thanks to MTS and MTR, my tuition buddies. (MTR got married a couple of days ago, congrats, girl.) Tuitions were a real eye opener for me, socially speaking. It was my chance in a long time to interact with people outside of my very limited social circle.

We weren't really in the habit of googling lyrics back then, except sometimes, so I didn't even understand half of what Massari's singing about for the longest time. And it really doesn't matter - even today, Be Easy has a beat that makes it impossible to sit still. It is also so deeply coded to memories of that time that it can instantly catapult me back into that time.


But Be Easy was always the consolation prize song. The palate cleanser for when you've had too many repeats of Real Love. This song has got to be the perfect hook for teens - it's unabashedly emotional, it's a ballad (isn't it?) and it's just lovely.


My favourite Massari song has always been Inta Hayati. I don't know what it was that did it - the Arabic lines or the belly-dancing beat or something else altogether. What I do know is that this song has always been my favourite when it comes to striptease concepts. God, there is just something about it.


انت حياتي
انت حبيبي
من اول نظرة
و صرت نصيبي
Inta hayati
Inta habibi
Min awal nazara
Wa surt naseebi

(Once used this song as a makeout soundtrack with fabulous results. :P) 
Speaking of dance music - and man, oh, man is my playlist filled with dance music - here's another one that gives off major bellydancing vibes. Not because it's a bellydance song, but because it's a naagin dance song. 


I'm not as much of a fan of Katrina Kaif's moves in this song as I am of Tara D'Souza's. The woman's simply divine. And it's hardly surprising that I would be obsessed with this song considering how many times I've listened to:

Seriously, every line of this dance, and every step Sridevi takes is an education in itself. This woman is amazing, and the choreographer of this dance is amazing. Sadly, they were utterly unable to recreate the magic in the sequel, quite possibly because they decided to be super sleazy about it. 

Another very ambitious song on my dance wishlist is the one from Student of the Year, although my interest in the song was considerably dimmed after watching this girl maul the song during one of our college competitions. This possibly sounds snobbish, but if you're going to use a great song, please for the love of God, do it properly. Else there are plenty of mid level songs to choose from. 


The sheer number of Shreya Ghoshal songs I love is a little surprising tbh. Which brings us to the biggest earworm right now...


The movie was terrible, but I went for Deepika Padukone reasons, and I wasn't very disappointed. Sadly, I did have to sit through a lot of terrible dialoguing between two obnoxious, self important dudes who frankly nobody cares about. But this song keeps being worth it, even though the dancing was a lot tamer than I was expecting. Deepika's best performance in my opinion is Nagada Sang Dhol, and Ghoomar comes nowhere close to replicating the energy of that song. But then again, I suppose it would be pretty difficult to dance wearing like 10 kilogrammes of costume. 


No post on dance music can be complete without the queen of Bollywood dancing - and I do not bestow that title lightly. 


Left here without further comment, and for your perusing pleasure.

Fine, then I'm not sorry either. I'm not sorry that I met you. I'm not sorry that knowing you has made me question everything, that in death you're the one that made me feel most alive. You've been a terrible person, you've made all the wrong choices, and of all the choices that I've made this will prove to be the worst one. But I am not sorry that I'm in love with you. I love you, Damon. I love y--
- Elena Gilbert, The Vampire Diaries

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite