Songs that Died


Sing to me 
Across all pain 
Past the shadows I strain 
To dance to the notes of forgotten songs 

Sing to me 
As the hour strikes eleven
Ghosts from the past converging 
On that house of darkness 

Sing to me 
Of stolen kisses, soft hands 
Of shoulders grabbed roughly 
Of thoughtless silence in the night 

Sing to me of regrets 
Of the poisonous reptile under the stone 
Sing to me of promise 
Of a teary dawn held up by whispered love 

Sing to me of all that was good 
Burning bright now, ashes carried 
In the wind/ With soundless sighs 
Of mute disappointment dropping like a stone

Into the pits of our stomachs
Pain undivided, grown twice as strong 
Sing to me of unspoken desires 
Of a mind obscured, crushed under fear 

Sing of lost kittens falling over precipices 
Of hands that long to reach out
To save/ to treasure/ Yet not knowing how 
Of three little dark assassins blending into the black 

Sing to me of wind rushing in my hair 
Tears stinging my eyes 
Sing to me of how everything would end well 
As I raced back home to where my love waited

Sing to me of how we acted as though we didn't hurt 
How we bore our burdens separately 
Past all pain and through the shadow 
Sing to me of songs long lost 

Sing to me of cruelty 
Sing to me of blank walls 
Sing to me of mice and men 
Sing to me of words long dead

Sing to me of an enemy I do not wish to make 
Tell me your stories, let me tell you mine 
Call to me from beyond the mountain 
As I wait to run, as I whisper this faded song 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite