Throwback: Sexism in my Fandoms I - Not Peggy!!!


Written on April 18, 2016


The weather's beautiful. In Bangalore, as it is in Kerala. The heat wave woes are over, and the monsoon is officially here. I stepped out for a bit today and it was drizzling the whole time. 

Awesome. 

Too bad I feel like total crap, especially now that I've been caught up on all of my shows. I'm pretty sure there are things I'm supposed to do, but which I've totally forgotten about. 

In the mean time, Agent Carter's been cancelled, Castle's been cancelled - but not before they managed to fire their lead actress... The Originals just killed off Cami AND Davina, bringing the number of their lead actresses down to a grand total of 1: Haley. The Vampire Diaries managed to establish that Damon thinks Christian Grey Syndrome is a sign of true love and also always the right thing to do... so much that he actually now expects other people (read: Stefan) to follow his lead. Way to destroy any hope for a beloved but completely flawed character, people. 

Teen Wolf fired their replacement female lead (Arden Cho, who played Kira Yukimura), bringing their female lead count also down to one - relative newcomer Malia. 

In the mean time, shows in Game of Thrones and Supernatural continue with their misogynistic storylines and male dominated casts to ringing endorsement. 

TV saw a brief Golden Age of attempted inclusivity, but it looks like that may be on the wane now.

-----------

Notes:

Out of all the shows mentioned, Game of Thrones is the only one I actually cut out of my life. I went on to watch TVD, The Originals and Teen Wolf all the way to the end. (Game of Thrones is, interestingly enough, currently airing its last season, and I am still not done wanting to rage post about it.)

Also, in this post, for some reason, I've mentioned Crystal Reed (Allison Argent), Arden Cho (Kira) and Shelley Hennig (Malia Hale) as female leads on Teen Wolf, completely leaving Holland Roden out. Not sure why, because Holland's Lydia Martin went on to become one of the most powerful characters and focuses of the show.

Supernatural continues their god-awful streak, and will probably take it with them into their upcoming final season. Would it KILL THEM to have women in central roles on the show? They have made slight improvements in this respect with Emily Swallow's Amara, Samantha Smith's Mary Winchester and even Courtney Ford's Kelly Kline. There's also the female hunter gang led by Sheriff Jody Mills, but they only get like a couple of courtesy episodes every season. 

In short, not enough, Supernatural. Not enough. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite