Throwback: Lightning Dome


The screaming in my ears is drowning the screaming deep within. 

Photo by Théo Roland on Unsplash

Headphones clamped across my ears - and my senses - I try to ignore the voice deep within me that doesn't seem to agree. Something falls in the room next to me; I hear the sound of something very much like glass breaking. I scream, and stuff my fingers into my ears to drown out the sound. It shatters across the carpet, and the sound is muted. No wonder the rooms are all carpeted, I think.

A wave of nausea begins from somewhere far away, outside of me.

It crashes against the windows, kept out by a glass wall that has sprung out from nowhere. I stare at the flimsy clear wall that is guarding me from taking the plunge. As from another world far away, I watch the next tsunamic wave rear its head. My flimsy protector won't be able to withstand this attack, I think.

But behold, the glass has taken on a life of it's own. I realize that it's myself, and my power that controls the rapidly thickening glass dome covering me. I didn't see the flash of lightning that hit the quicksand around me, turning it from trap to protection. But it was the lightning that saved my life today.

The tsunami is powerless against the clear glass. I watch it fall away, a sense of healing spreading over me.

I spread my wings and fly out through the glass, far above the malignant looking eye of the maelstrom. I fly out into the night.

- Written July 12, 2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyrics: Chanchala Druthapada Thalam

Fuckboy Bingo: The Tragic Fallout Of A Hook Up Quest

The Face of A Stranger