Throwback: Crown For A Penny


Crossposted. October 1, 2010.

Yesterday, you sat beside me as I cried. Today, there's no one to hold me as I cry. And that is how I know you're still alive. Because every minute of my days, you're a hole in the world, floating softly next to me, filling my dreams and fantasies, and all my waking hours.

I feel myself giving slowly in to the pressure. An evil imp insists that I take the plunge, but I know that even as I slice into the blue depths of the pool, there will be no water to caress my sore skin, to soothe the aching pain that afflicts me.

What can I say, except that you walked away on a moonlit night? That the strange loud music in the background drowned out the sound of my heart breaking. What can I say, except that I had no choice but to break the circle to keep myself sane?

Princesses know the duties they owe State and people. Royalty from around the world courts us with gifts unimaginable, with more flowers than our castles can hold, with more love than there is water in the seas of the world.

And yet I cannot forget the night you galloped away into a different story. I cannot forget our brief summer romance, because there was a different kind of magic in the air those nights. 

My pepper imp must wait longer for her fantasies to come alive, while I hold steady the reins of duty. And yet I would give away my crown for a penny, the flowers for a single rose. I'd give away all the love in the world in return for yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite