Gloom

Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

Out of the gloom
The room seems to want to tell me
Things I've forgotten
Or haven't thought about
In far too long

Some things are just too heavy
To make the journey
I'm left with no choice
But to ditch the baggage
Or lose myself in oblivion

There's this dream
I keep waking up from
Where I fly down the stairs
To where you wait
In front of the gate

I run down a million times
In a million years of memory
There are things I've left undone
Because tonight seems
To go on forever

I stand at this door
And look into the gloom
What do you see
In my unseeing eyes
Do you see me look past you
'Cause I don't need to see you
When you're always right
In front of my mind

I've seen the stars extinguished 
Too many times to be surprised 
This time it's all I can do
To slip out through the door
And into the silence outside

Written July 23, 2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite