Frankly, My Dear...

 "Sometimes, life just sucks."

Photo by Jonathan Borba on Unsplash

I heard the call of the siren, and I chose to answer every time. The thrill of the hunt ripped through me as I felt my wings unfold behind me. Winds like I could barely remember rushed in as though they, too, had been waiting for me to only just say the word. 

Sometimes, life just sucks. Sometimes, you're insulted and degraded and handed a big pile of empty to hold on to while they promise away your promises to someone else forever. 

Sometimes life breaks you, and you carry on anyway, bowed by the aches and pains of a cracked, shriveled heart. You tell yourself, no more, no more swimming with the mermaids and calling back to the sirens. No more believing in inherent goodness. For change is impossible, and dreams are made from nothing more than powdered gravel and pain. 

Sometimes you step aside and accept that wanting will only make it all the more impossible to have. 
But then he came back and he apologised 
and he said he'd make it all better 
and he did, he did, he did. 
The sun rises on something impossible, and I feel my heart begin to heal. The words swell beneath my lips once again and I yearn to speak what's been forbidden for so long. 

"I love you," I say. And I mean it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite