Snowman


You found the things that make a man?"

"Yes!"

"How did you find out what they were?" The Wintersmith proudly told her about the children, while Tiffany breathed carefully, forcing herself to relax. His logic was very…logical. After all, if a carrot and two pieces of coal can make a heap of snow a snowman, then a big bucket of salts and gases and metal should certainly make him a human. It made…sense. At least, sense to the Wintersmith. "But, you see, you need to know the whole song," said Tiffany. "It is mostly only about what humans are made of. It isn't about what humans are."

"There were some things that I could not find," said the Wintersmith. "They made no sense. They had no substance."

"Yes," said Tiffany, nodding sadly. "The last three lines, I expect, which are the whole point. I'm really sorry about that."

"But I will find them," said the Wintersmith. "I will!"

"I hope you do, one day," said Tiffany.

"Please," she said, "take the winter away. Go back to your mountains. Please." Frost in front of me…. "No. I am Winter. I cannot be anything else."

"Then you cannot be human," said Tiffany. "The last three lines are: 'Strength enough to build a home, Time enough to hold a child, Love enough to break a heart.'"

- Wintersmith, Terry Pratchett

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite