Nights


Photo by Alex Montes from Pexels

There are nights
When the dart board
On the wall/ laughs
At me/ in a crazy way
And the whole damn world
Turns upside down

There are nights
When ghosts from long
Long ago/ Come back for
A chat/ A cuppa perhaps

Nights when my phone rings
And is never picked up
Nights when we're walking
Down that road again
And you grab my hand
And hold it tight

Nights when I wonder
Why I didn't cross the line
When I wonder why
I always come too late
The line's already drawn

There are nights
When the thread slips
Out of one hand
Into the other
Nights when you can't help
But smile because
You've done it right

Why doesn't she agree?
Why sulk around, I wonder
When all's well
That ends well
Why does my princess alone cry

She wants to be first
She'd do it all again
She'd do it differently
Coz she knows it can't
Just be any other way

But the night winks knowingly
And beckons me down
Into the realms of dreams
Once known/ The only world
Where I sleep sound

Written on August 3, 2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite