Words

Words spill out of my palms, scattering everywhere, left behind and forgotten almost immediately. 

Photo by Josep Castells on Unsplash


Words that insult me with their ineffectiveness, words that twist in themselves to make up all that is beautiful and ugly in the world. Vows that crumble under a whisper. Oaths ripped apart like so much tissue paper. Promises fading under the immense pressure of so very little time.

In no time at all, the world just… changed. Why do we doubt the existence of miracles when we make and unmake our destinies with only the power of words. Given wings by hypocrisy, by fear, by thoughtlessness, but convenience, our words change our lives. And change the lives of everyone around us.

I breathe in and breathe fire out, scattering the worst of the words. I ignore the scalding pain of skin peeling away from flesh, a constant spiritual presence in my soul by now. Loneliness remains in their wake as every last certainty is swept out into the vast empty. I do not know where they go, nor do I care, for I’m pinned in place, doomed to suffer the weight of their absence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite