I Told You Something I Probably Shouldn't Have

To say goodbye is hard, worse is being made to feel like you were never there to begin with. 

Screaming in rage is hard, worse is having to tuck it all away and forget you ever had reason to feel. 

Sometimes hands that were meant to hold you twist, and break you like a forgotten toy. 

Sometimes old wounds are ripped open again for a new helping of salt 


I laugh as I think back to all the moments I bragged of overcoming 

As though it weren't a little death every time forcing my hand 

As though there was no experiencing pain at its purest 

As though it were but a whisper upon the wings of the wind


My fingers twitch for the safety of the knife 

My lips bleed under the weight of a story told one too many times 

My face blanched, I turn to face the spectre in the shadows 

To reach out for the ugliness it holds in the palm of its hand 

Acceptance, it whispers

Tonight the shadows will retreat disappointed

For tonight I will not break 

Forgetting and rivers of salt stay undestined

To nestle in the comfort of this waning day 


Such is the sway of a tale that's been sung

Longer than the Listener's ear can bear 

For now we know the night isn't unending

And dawn breaks with it this foul, toxic spell 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Waltzing to the Tune of Rhetoric

Sweet Summer Child: A Love Letter

Review: Vampire Academy #2 - Frostbite